You are here

Obtaining an F-1 Visa

Most international students who intend to enroll in degree programs (or English language programs) at the post-secondary level are required to study on an F-1 student visa. Some students require J-1 Exchange visas due to the nature of their sponsorship or activities. For more information about J-1 visas, click here.

Once you have been admitted to a degree program or English-language program at UL Lafayette and provided proof of financial responsibility, you will be issued a SEVIS I-20 by the appropriate campus admissions office (Graduate, Undergraduate or OIA for Intensive English Program students).

All applicants for a student visa must provide:

  • Form SEVIS I-20AB obtained from the University. You must sign page 1 of this form.
  • Completed online visa application (Form DS-160) with photo of each person applying.
  • A passport valid for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.
  • A receipt of visa processing (I-901) fee.

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
  • Standardized test scores required by UL Lafayette (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT)
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your parents have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your intended study
  • Sponsored students must provide financial guarantees from their sponsoring organization or government.

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

  • Proof of the student’s relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (i.e. marriage and birth certificates)
  • It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse/children apply at a later time, they should bring a copy of the F-1 holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

For more information: visit the U.S. Department of State Website.