You are here

Maintaining Status

Maintaining your status with the USCIS is important for an international student who is expecting to apply for a work permit and/or practical training, returning back to United States after visiting outside the U.S. border, and wish to stay legally in the U.S. Maintaining your status simply means that you comply with the USCIS policies and regulations.

  • Full-Time Study: F-1 students must maintain full time student status each semester until they receive their degrees. F-1 students are not required to register for the summer session unless it is their first semester at this university. Full-time study for international students means a minimum of nine credit hours for graduate students, and twelve credit hours for undergraduate students. Any deviations from this should be discussed with OIA.
  • Transfer to Another School: If you wish to transfer to another school, please bring the following documents to the Office of International Affairs:
    • Acceptance Letter from new school
    • Transfer-out form from new school (if applicable)
    • Transfer-Out form
  • Withdrawal from UL Lafayette: If you will not return to the university, please fill out the Withdrawal Form and return it to our office.  Please make sure you have dropped your classes for the following semester.
  • Employment: Employment opportunities are limited for international students in the US. On-campus employment is allowed for F-1 visa holders with permission through the OIA. On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours during the academic year and 40 hours during vacation periods. Off-campus employment is available with special permission, please refer to off-campus employment section before you see an adviser in OIA for further information.
  • Address Changes: You must keep the Office of International Affairs informed of your current telephone number and address.Also you need to complete form AR-11 and mail it to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Extending Your Stay: If the date on your SEVIS I-20AB is going to expire and you need to remain in the U.S. beyond the expiration date in order to continue your program, you are responsible for extending your stay. You may apply 45 days before your stay expires. You should apply at least 30 days before the expiration or before completion of any program of studies. Please fill out the SEVIS I-20AB Request for Extension of Program and return to the OIA.  An extension cannot be granted if you were on suspension or falling below full-time hours.