You are here

Income Taxes

Sprintax offers tax preparation services all international students enrolled at UL Lafayette for a small fee. Click here for instructions to file your taxes with Sprintax.

U.S. tax regulations require all nonresident F-1 and J-1 students and scholars to, without exception, file a federal income tax return if he/she stays even for a day in any calendar year, regardless of income. This information is to help you comply with U.S. tax laws. For most Americans, completing their tax return is a confusing and frustrating exercise. It might not be as bad as you think, though. Hopefully, the information you find here will make the job easier. Remember, you have to file both a State Tax Return and a Federal Tax Return. Both tax returns need to be filed by April 15 of the following year, if you received wages subject to U.S. tax withholding. If you did not receive taxable wages in a calendar year, the due date for your tax return is June 15, of the following year.

Information About Federal Income Tax

All international students must fill out the Federal Form 8843

If you are single and were employed last year, you must fill out the Federal Form 1040 NR-EZ (instructions)and Federal Form 8843

If you were employed last year and you are married, you must fill out the Federal Form 1040 NR (instructions) and Federal Form 8843.

You may also go to the IRS web site for more information.

Information About State Income Tax

If  you were employed last year, you must fill out the Louisiana State Non-Resident Income Tax Form (IT-540B). You will need to first select the year you want to file for.  Then go to form IT-540B.