You are here

Social Security Numbers


An international student can only apply for a Social Security Number if he/she has an assistantship, fellowship, or is employed within the University. Otherwise, the international student can apply for a tax id number.

The dependent of an international student, who is not a US citizen, is not entitled for a SSN. Instead, they can obtain a tax identification number (W-7 form).


International students need the following documents to apply for a Social Security Number:

  • Valid Passport
  • Valid SEVIS I-20 AB or DS-2019
  • A document that is over one year old (like a Passport or your Birth Certificate)
  • Letter obtained from your employer


Social Security Office
106 Corporate Boulevard
Lafayette, LA 70508

Phone: (888) 619-4771
Toll Free: (800) 772-1213
TTY: (800) 325-0778

Hours of Operation:
Monday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed