You are here

Dependent Information

In order to bring family members (spouse and/or children) of an F-1 student to the United States, the student is required to provide the legal documents showing the relationship (marriage or birth certificate) and a financial statement. If the family members will accompany the F-1 student at the start of his/her program, the Graduate School or the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Recruitment will issue the dependent I-20s along with the I-20 for the F-1 student.

The Office of International Affairs will issue a SEVIS I-20 with the dependent information for all students who are already enrolled in classes at the University.

1.  Bring financial documents to the OIA to request for a dependent SEVIS I-20AB.

2.  Financial documentation must show additional funds of $2,000 for a spouse and $1,000 for each child.

  • Bank statements should show the date the account was opened and date the statement was obtained.
  • The average balance shown must have been maintained for at least 3 months.
  • The statement must be no older than 6 months and must indicate the exact amount of funding.
  • Pay stubs, investment funding, and bank statements of companies cannot be accepted.

3. Complete a Financial Guarantee Form (either Graduate or Undergraduate) to match the statement.

4. If approved, be prepared to present the following:
  •  Clear copy of each dependent's passport
  •  For spouses: a marriage certificate (including official English translation)
  •  For children: a birth certificate (including official English translation)
Tax Identification Number

The dependent of an international student cannot obtain a social security number, but they are eligible to apply for Tax Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service. An international student's children who are born in U.S. are an exception for this, and they are entitled to a social security number.

Driver's License

Dependents can obtain a driver's license without a Social Security Number by obtaining a Tax Identification Number. Click here for more information.

Working in the U.S.

Dependents of F-1 students are not allowed to work in United States, regardless of whether it is on campus or off campus.

Health and Accident Insurance

Although current regulations do not require dependents of F-1 students to carry health and accident insurance, it is anticipated that coverage will soon become mandatory. Because of the high cost of health care in the U.S., insurance for dependents is highly recommended. The U.S. government does not subsidize any health care costs for non-immigrant visitors. If an uninsured family member needs medical care for any reason, your family could end up with an unmanageable financial burden.
Dependents of J-1 students must have health insurance. Dependents of F-1 or J-1 students are not eligible for public assistance programs such as medical services or insurance provided to low-income U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Primary and Secondary School Enrollment

To enroll children in local public schools, submit the following documents when you register your child at the school:
  • An official birth certificate, a signed hospital certificate, or a passport as valid proof of your child's birth date.
  • A physical examination for all children beginning school for the first time.
  • Official copies of the child's school records.
  • All immunization records with names and dates of vaccines received.
Information for Primary & Secondary School Enrollment
Lafayette Parish Public Schools
Lafayette Parish Catholic Schools
Lafayette Parish Charter Schools