You are here

Obtaining a Visa

We admit students under two major categories (F-1 and J-1). F-1 is a student visa, and J visa is known as exchange visitor visa. The students eligible for an F-1 visa are issued a SEVIS I-20AB, and for a J visa, a DS-2019.

F1 Visa (Student Visa)

All applicants for a student visa must provide:

  • A Form SEVIS I-20AB obtained from a U.S. college, school or university. Please be sure to give us all three pages of the SEVIS I-20AB form. The form must also be signed by you and by a school official in the appropriate places.
  • A completed nonimmigrant visa application form (DS-156) with photo of each person applying. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent’s passport. These forms are available at the Embassy at no charge.
  • A passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the United States.
  • A receipt of visa processing fee. A receipt showing payment of the visa application fee for each applicant, including each child listed in a parent’s passport who is also applying for a U.S. visa, is needed;

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your parents, who are sponsoring you, have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

  • Proof of the student’s relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.)
  • It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder’s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

For more information: visit the U.S. Department of State Website.

J Visa (Exchange Visitor Visa)

The "J" visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the U.S. Department of State, Exchange Visitor Program and Designation Staff. The "J" exchange visitor program is designed to promote the interchange of persons, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and sciences. Participants include students at all academic levels; trainees obtaining on-the-job training with firms, institutions, and agencies; teachers of primary, secondary, and specialized schools; professors coming to teach or do research at institutions of higher learning; research scholars; professional trainees in the medical and allied fields; and international visitors coming for the purpose of travel, observation, consultation, research, training, sharing, or demonstrating specialized knowledge or skills, or participating in organized people-to-people programs. Participants in the "J" program must present a Form DS-2019 issued by our institution.

For more information, visit U.S. Department of State Website.